Aquaponics

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Is it time intensive or prohibitively expensive to start? I've heard bits and pieces about the practice of aquaponics on television, but I don't know anyone who raises their fish and vegetables that way. I figured something must hold growers back. Do any of you guys use an aquaponic system?

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Commercial growers are definitely utilizing methods like this. We don't because we're primarily dairy so not as much need. I see articles about these methods being used in urban areas too.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
We have looked into it for our greenhouses, seems like an ideal way to capitalize on water needs while also gaining the fish cash crop along with high quality fertilizer. Startup costs are what holds us back. Tanks and piping are doable on a budget, it's the monitoring equipment that costs so much. Without diligent monitoring, one little things gets out of whack and you lose both the crop and fish.

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
It just isn't enjoyable to me, I guess. I've thought about it and I think it would be great for someone in an urban setting with little land. It isn't that it's time intensive, but there's a lot of tech work that goes with it. That just doesn't do anything for me. I like to be outside digging in the dirt and working with my plants. I enjoy eating my breakfast and seeing my garden outside my window.