Are Snap On Tools Worth The Money

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
In my opinion, each brand has some amazing tools as well as some lemons among their lineup. It pays to shop around and read reviews. So many brands have consolidated over the years so there's really very few manufacturers left.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Snap-on has some good tools, but they're pretty pricey. I have some of their stuff and I use their ratcheting screwdriver regularly. I used to be loyal to the Craftsman brand because of their warranty and high standards, but they're no longer the gold standard. Now they're mostly made overseas, the tools don't last as long, and the warranties are denied more often than they used to be.

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
Snap On is definitely worth the money. When I first started out I used to do the garage sales for tools, then Harbour Freight. Now that I can afford it I buy Snap On and Craftsman. Good tools are an investment.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
We have many Snap On tools. We also have a lot of Craftsman tools too. Problem with Craftsman is that Sears went out of business in my area. Lowe's is now selling the brand though.

ms&r

Farm Hand
Snap-on are the best, but I only purchase the ones from Snap-on that are junk in the other brands like their torx and hex bits. Common wrenches are good in lots of brands, sockets and ratchets require a little better quality than wrenches do, so you can get some good quality stuff a a place like Napa.

Logixjock

Logixjock

If you are a professional mechanic and use them every day, Snap-On is well worth it. For everyone else, there are much better value options out there. I generally steer people to Gearwrench and recently, Tekton seems to be a good value. (Disclamer, I have been a Snap-On addict for going on 22 years now and own pretty much all of their hard line, and many countless dollars of specialty tools)

ms&r

Farm Hand
I would be willing to bet that you would sell those things for half of what you paid for them. I know of guys that have paid 15k for an empty tool box and then come the divorce from the wife and then he has to pay her 7500.00 for her share and he still has to pay her for the tools. He now has 22.5k in a tool box, are you kidding me.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Every single snap on tool I've bought has been the last one I've bought. I've had some 40 plus years now. If I could afford it I'd have a full set from them they're great. Like everybody else I used to buy craftsman but not anymore, i fear they aren't what they used to be.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
I'm another fan. When I was 8 years old my dad bought me one of their ratcheting screwdrivers... still use it to this day.

Recently I've been buying husky tools and for the money I have no complaints. I find that they're as good as the job requires in my case. Not a heavy user though.