Auction Auctions Need To Make A Comeback

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
This topic seems fitting seeing how no one has come here for 5 years. :)

There are quite a few small town scattered across the U.S. that might benefit from an auction house opening shop. It brings people together, builds a sense of community, they can get goods for a fair price and it might help revitalize an otherwise dying town.

If an auction house opened in your area, would you go?

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
Yes, I would go. I have always loved the idea of competing for something you really want. I went to auctions when I was a kid but then just kind of drifted away. I would love to get back to that.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I'd love for one to open as it would add to the local economy, but I'm not sure whether I'd bid. I like to check reviews and mull buying decisions over and that style doesn't work with auctions where you need to assess an item's worth quickly and make snappy decisions.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
@Smarty Plants, many auction houses load pictures of the goods online, where you can check their specs and condition. Some have a preview before the auction starts where you can walk around and check things out in person. In the past, I've grabbed some specialized equipment I couldn't afford otherwise, so they're worth a look.

@Jonny B Goode, we have auctions around here about once or twice a season. They're so popular that many farmers also use them as networking events. I've talked to the owner and he said they got started with little outlay, so it's worth considering doing your own if you have the inclination.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I've never been to a live auction. It sounds exciting though!
I have always loved the idea of competing for something you really want.
The scientific term for that thrill is "competitive arousal". I learned that after developing some unhealthy habits on Ebay. Now that I realize why my brain reacts that way, I'm able to turn off the "must-win" mentality.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
[QUOTE="Digger, post: 163177, member: 7024"
@Jonny B Goode, we have auctions around here about once or twice a season. They're so popular that many farmers also use them as networking events. I've talked to the owner and he said they got started with little outlay, so it's worth considering doing your own if you have the inclination.
[/QUOTE]

I kind of forgot about the networking aspect. That makes sense though when you have so many people from one "field" of business in one place. Like a convention where you buy things.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
I would go as well. I remember going to live auctions as a kid. The place always had many people and a lot of items up for sale. It would be nice to be in a live auction, then bid. I can imagine the fun and anxiety at wanting to be the highest bidder!

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
I've never been to a live auction. It sounds exciting though!

The scientific term for that thrill is "competitive arousal". I learned that after developing some unhealthy habits on Ebay. Now that I realize why my brain reacts that way, I'm able to turn off the "must-win" mentality.
I always associated the word arousal with something entirely different. :D But with this, if I don't have the funds I stop bidding. It's the thrill of the chase I guess.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
I would definitely go. I drive to bigger cities sometimes to go to auctions, but it would really be great if we had some closer to home. I've found some really useful things at auctions and got them for a fraction of what I would have paid for them new.