Combines Australian Rotary Combine Field Demonstration

hank

Marvin- what do you think of the sts deere and the 36 ft header. Thanks for the pics. what's the crop like down underIJ

M__Gorden

Because I have not operated the STS yet, and I have only watched it work in one wheat crop, I am unable to tell you much. The STS has the appearance and look of quality that I am accustom to and expect from John Deere. The wheat variety that was being harvested, while I was there, was easy to knock out of the head. To properly evaluate and convince me of the capability of a combine, I want to see how it handles the toughest-in-the-head wheat. So, I will reserve my full judgment on the STS for another day. I felt this machine was being operated conservatively as it was traveling less than 5 mph. Considering that the crop was cut high, and the straw was dry, I expected it to be moving faster. At one point someone mentioned they heard the engine lug down a bit. I would not have expected that from a 325 HP combine in those conditions. I had hoped to see a longer and faster unloading auger. Instead, Deere has offset the header to the right of center, on the 336 platform, to accommodate the too short unloading auger. I think manufacturers are falling short on unloading capacity. With the higher intake of crop these days, the grain carts are spending too much time under the auger instead of hauling grain away. The crops that I have seen have been good, not excellent.

FarmBuddy

I agree that there is too much time spent unloading. The Cat's have a most respectable 2.5 bu_sec unload rate, but I think the conveyor system used on the Bi-Rotor as shown in Patent 5496215 is the best way to increase unload rate, use less power, and damage less grain. See and search it under www.USPTO.gov Maybe I should reclaim it since Deere hasn't moved forward with it yet.