Average age of farmers

jack

jack

Farm Hand
Some publications put the figure at 34, whereas others report it as 60. I believe that more young people are getting into farming, and we also have experienced large-scale farmers. Should we first agree on who a farmer is? Can those who work on other people's farms for wages be part of this statistic?

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
I would think that they could be considered farmers. That could be what is driving the age lower than what I expected. 34 actually surprises me because I would have put it closer to 40.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
I would think that they could be considered farmers. That could be what is driving the age lower than what I expected. 34 actually surprises me because I would have put it closer to 40.
I would place it at 50. If I can recall, the Food Agricultural Organization (FAO) puts the age at 60. It makes sense since, through experience, farmers expand and acquire more tracks of land.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
I think it is only fair that anybody who spends long hours on the farm is considered a farmer. In that case, I would quote the average age at approximately. Lately, more young people in my area are venturing into farming!