Combines Baling straw behind R s or N sIJ

AR9745

We bale behind a R62 30' head with a NH 575. We run impeller. Had reverse bars out and bars over sep grate this past year. Straw was a little longer and less roped. Made a chute at discharge to roll straw out of tire track and to fluff up, as it dries out better. All depends on what straw quality you want. We take to dairy farms who bed by hand and they perfer rotary straw as it is easier to break up. Some prefer long straw though. Rotary straw can be harder to rake if need be. Older balers may have trouble baling and picking up, depending on head size and amount of straw.

Irv

We've been baling oat straw behind our R5 and now our R62 for a few years now. Both have choppers, which we run slow, and also pull the knives. Everyone seems to love this straw, and some have even said they wish it was broke up a little more. We live in SW MN, and usually the straw is quite tough. Red machines do bust it up a bunch more than we do. Irv

T__langan

At very minimum, remove any reverse bars. This will make the biggest difference of all. Run'em hard and keep machine running at full capacity. We have found that running at less than full capacity will cause straw to get chewed up more. Seems like you need a good flow of new crop coming in to push threshed crop through. Next step would be to Hyperize - all the mods are designed to smooth crop flow through rotor and prevent hang-ups which will cause straw to get chewed. We bale all of our oat straw and we literally cannot tell the straw behind our R52 from what we used to find behind the Gleaner conventionals. Do what the other poster said - fabricate a slide to move windrow to the right to keep it out of the wheel track. This will keep straw on standing stubble so it will dry faster. If you are used to an l3, you might want to stick to an R52 - they would be easier to keep running full unless to get a WIDE head for a 62! We run a 15' on our R52 but wished we had at least 18' most of the time. Tom langan

Oedie86

We had a F3 with a chopper. We liked the straw behind that, because we mainly sold it to dog owners who need bedding for the winter and is a litte easier to break up. Our JD 14T didn't have a problem picking it up and it's around 50 years old. I'm not sure what is considered an old baler, but that must be close. The straw out of our R40 seems to come out virtually intact, as it went in, but we have an impeller. Our green stemed beans came out too "stringy", so much that we clogged up the discharge. Needless to say, we are purchasing a chopper. I doubt our straw will now come out more chewed up than our conventional did. Just my thoughts. Ryan

doc_m

My R62 leaves too much chaff in the straw to bale with my 430John Deere round baler. The small square out of a 346 John Deere baler is so slick the wires fall off. I have a neighbor to come cut with his l3 for baling straw. I don't see how ou guys bale straw behind wheat.