Combines beater speed

95man

rf, That is a very good question - I had been wandering the same thing since I had been looking at a corn-bean combine and I would say that the 50% slower beater speed probably helps from splitting beans and cracking kernels that are being thrown onto the walkers for separation. Another deal on corn and bean machines is that grain machines have to handle quite a bit more material (straw) so the higher beater speed will get the straw onto the walkers faster. How hard is the beater speed to change, it might be worth while if you run lots of wheat.

luke

we run 100% beater speed and it does fine we combine irrigated wheat that makes 100+ BPA and we don't have problems of carryover on the walkers unless the wheat is down and we have to take all the straw through

Duane

I have a "corn_bean" 7720 II combine 1988 model. I bought it in 1994 and changed the beater to 150% and also put the cell grate in and took out wire unit under the beater. Changeover takes pulleys on both ends to get 150%. It is a big improvement since I also have a 1987 7720 II combine that had always been 150% and with cell grate. Biggest area of improvement I see is in Durum. Canola went better with 100% and wires. We actually move the cell grate to lower position on canola.