Recipes Brocolli cheese soup help

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
So I told my wife I'd make this soup. It turned out as a flop! The cheese wouldn't melt, it literally clumped!

Anyone have a tried and true recipe and hints on how to melt cheese!

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Hi, MichaelS. That was sweet of you to make some soup for your wife. What kind of cheese did you use? I bet that's the problem. Also, most cheesy soup recipes call for milk or half-and-half to help make up the creamy contents. If you didn't add that it might explain why yours wasn't as smooth and creamy.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I used mild and sharp cheddar. I cubed it (was a block of cheese). I'm thinking maybe I should have shredded it. I used heavy cream and chicken stock. I tried to follow a low-carb recipe. It really was a disaster!

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Maybe shredded cheese would do the trick better, but I'm still surprised that your cubed cheese didn't melt. Maybe it's the cooking method that's the problem. When you add cheese to a boiling substance too quickly it often coagulates. That's especially true if it hasn't warmed up. I usually wait until the end to add the cheese.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
I haven't tried out any cheese recipes before, but I could use some tips here. My friend once told me that Panera's broccoli cheddar soup is easy to make (often ready in 1 hour).