Can Plants "Talk" To Each Other?

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
I have heard news stories about this in the recent past, but I still can't wrap my head around it. I would like to believe they can, but how? I'm just not understanding that part.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I think they communicate with one another by putting out certain hormones if I'm not mistaken. They secrete these into the soil through their roots. It makes sense if you think about it. Plants could use it to warn their neighbors about the shade or pests before the others suffer. Then the others would know to start "moving" in a different direction by putting out new branches or shoots. Or maybe it's a hopeless situation and the other plants will know to reallocate their energy into making as many seeds as possible to continue the survival of the species. Everything a plant does takes energy, so it makes sense to make the most of it.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
@Almost Eden That is brilliant! When I first read the question I thought no way. The way you explained it, it makes sense. I do believe that plants can talk to each other now.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I think they communicate with one another by putting out certain hormones if I'm not mistaken. They secrete these into the soil through their roots. It makes sense if you think about it. Plants could use it to warn their neighbors about the shade or pests before the others suffer. Then the others would know to start "moving" in a different direction by putting out new branches or shoots. Or maybe it's a hopeless situation and the other plants will know to reallocate their energy into making as many seeds as possible to continue the survival of the species. Everything a plant does takes energy, so it makes sense to make the most of it.
...and they can also "bully" each other as well given the various allelopathic capabilities of some plants.

Would very much like to understand the method by which potatoes inhibit the fruiting of tomatoes and eggplants as I've seen that happen with some of my container gardening - even with each plant having it's own nursery container. Fortunately moving the containers with potatoes further away from the tomatoes and eggplants solved the problem.