Capitalizing on Beef Fear

Thyme Flies By

Thyme Flies By

Farm Hand
There's some misinformation floating around that Biden is going to ban beef. It's not true, but some folks are absolutely freaking out over it. Do you think beef prices will skyrocket because of that? If I had beef cattle, I'd be tempted to run with it. "Buy my cow for a zillion bucks before Biden takes away your steak."

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I haven't heard about the beef drama yet, but I pretty much avoid politics, so maybe that's why. I think capitalizing on fear could backfire once the customers caught. The trick would be to jack up prices without explicitly making the claim that beef was about to be banned. I doubt many people would fall for it though. I haven't noticed a recent increase in beef prices.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I get that the beef thing isn't true, but it's not that unbelievable considering how many states and cities levy sin taxes. It's not just alcohol and tobacco that will get you either. In my neck of the woods, there's a sin tax for fast food and sugary treats.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I haven't heard that rumor either. I doubt it would work around here - overpriced beef. Plus the people I sell to are long term customers and I would not want to mislead them.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I thought the price might go up for a brief period as the demand increased but that hasn't held true. I guess the ag market isn't as reactive as I thought.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
The food demand, in general, has gone up which is why prices in the stores are going up.

But I really doubt beef prices would increase because a few thick people believe that beef would be banned.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
@Locksmith Why do you think food in general has a higher demand? I would agree with you in that the prices of most food is increasing due to demand.
I don't think that people would actually believe that beef will be banned.

Thyme Flies By

Thyme Flies By

Farm Hand
Beef isn't being banned. It was just a rumor that made the rounds. Unfortunately, it was stated as a true thing on Fox, but they retracted it the next day. Mistakes happen. You guys are so right that my idea wouldn't go over well. I wasn't thinking about the customers and the after effects of it. Thanks for pulling me back into reality.

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
It wouldn't be reasonable to ban beef all of a sudden, especially since many fast foods rely on it. Don't you think it might be possible in the future? In case of a shortage, prices really would go up.
Beef isn't being banned. It was just a rumor that made the rounds. Unfortunately, it was stated as a true thing on Fox, but they retracted it the next day. Mistakes happen. You guys are so right that my idea wouldn't go over well. I wasn't thinking about the customers and the after effects of it. Thanks for pulling me back into reality.

Patric

Farm Hand
Well I am glad to hear that beef is not being banned. I would think that it would never but you never know.
I have seen food prices going up like crazy here. I believe it is mostly because of the cost of gas to get it to market.