Car and Truck Batteries

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I need to replace the battery in my pickup truck, a 2001 GMC Sierra half ton. It's not an everyday driver, I just use it for transporting hay and other farm stuff, occasionally pulling a small trailer. I only use it a few times each month. Is an AGM battery worth the extra price? They're supposed to hold a charge better for occasional use, but is that true? I notice now that I don't use the truck as much as I used to, the batteries don't last as long, usually just about 2 years. I've had good luck with Advance Auto batteries, and they now carry Die Hard batteries which seem to get good reviews. I used to always get Die Hard batteries from Sears. Then again, car batteries don't seem to last as long as they used to. I had to replace the original battery on my 2018 Outback (which I bought new) a few months ago, I didn't even get 3 years out of it! Original care batteries use to always last over 5 years, apparently they don't anymore.

So...any suggestions on what battery I should buy for my truck?

Thanks!!

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
I always buy Die Hard. My vehicles go through large temperature changes throughout the year which can wear a battery down quicker than usual, but that brand never lets me down. They typically last 5 years too.

If you don't use the truck that often, try to keep starting it once a day or so just to keep it active.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Thanks!

I'm gonna get a Die Hard, as well. I'm also gonna get a solar smart battery trickle charger to keep it charged. The trickle chargers are pretty cheap, around $35, so they're worth it.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I was going to say to buy a trickle charger. Batteries don't last as long as they once did. They last even shorter when you're not using them. I would go with a Die Hard too, that is our brand of choice.