Certified Naturally Grown

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
The CNG certification seems to be an alternative to applying for the USDA Organic certification. As we all know, the USDA certification can cost thousands of dollars depending on the size of your operation. That prices many of us out. The CNG certification is only about $200 which will appeal to small-scale farmers. It's meant for those of us who sell directly to customers at farm stands, the farmers market, and such. Do you think it's worth applying for it though? I can't say that I've ever run across the CNG label in the wild. Have you?

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I think it's a nice idea, but unfortunately, consumers have been trained to look for the word "organic" on the product label. CGN designation might require organic practices, but you can't legally use the word "organic" without the USDA certification. I'm not sure that it would help attract customers in that case.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Do you think it's worth applying for it though? I can't say that I've ever run across the CNG label in the wild. Have you?
I have the certification and I'm proud of it! The CNG label is most often seen at the farmers market and through CSAs. Since you're directly dealing with the customers and likely forming relationships with them, it's easy to explain what the certification means. Customers understand that the little guy can't drop thousands of dollars for the "organic" designation. It actually means more than "organic" does, which has been watered down through lobbying.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I didn't do a lot of research into it, @Urban Homestead, but from what you've said, it sounds like a good program. I'll have to look more deeply into it. Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that the certification helps your business.