Chicks, ducklings, and bunnies as Easter gifts

• Thread starter Urban Homestead
  • Start date
Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
As Easter nears, so does the age-old debate about the buying and selling of cute baby bunnies, tiny ducklings, and fuzzy chicks during this time of year. Sometimes the animals are even dyed to match the colors of Easter eggs. So where do you draw the line? I have to admit that if I sold chicks, ducklings, or bunnies for my livelihood, then I'd be tempted to get in on this. Easter is like the Black Friday of rabbit, duck, and chicken breeders after all. But that isn't where I am and the animal lover in me cringes just imagining the pitiful fate these creatures might suffer once the excitement of Easter wears off. Where do you stand on this issue? Could someone operate ethically and still sell live animals as Easter gifts?

Rosebud

Rosebud

Farm Hand
That's a hard one because I am sure there are people out there who buy these baby animals and actually keep them and raise them. However, there are also people out there who just get rid of the animals after the holiday or when they grow up, and that is heartbreaking. If only there were a way to reliably determine who did and didn't have good intentions.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
I would have a hard time selling baby animals to people I don't know well around Easter because I hear all the stories about how the chicks, ducks, rabbits, etc are left at shelters after the excitement is over. If I ever sold animals to people at Easter, it would have to be someone I knew well and trusted.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Responsible breeders sell only to "qualified" buyers.

Absolutely no way to offer these animals while vetting out who is "qualified".

The fact you are dying an animal pink or purple to attract these buyers pretty much tells you they are NOT qualified.

Basically, your running a carnival stand - your in town a week, hawking cute little animals to parents guilted into ownership by an 8 year old. If this is how you approach business - you better be prepared to be treated like a carnival worker by the people who run a business in town year round....you show up, steal their profits for a week and move on - spending the citizens money elsewhere.