City To Country

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
Responding to another new post got me to thinking. Do you think people will have had enough of the city life now that they will start moving, if they have the mean$, out to more rural areas? If I lived in the city right now I think I would do everything possible to get out.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
After 911 lots of people left the city for the country. I think the pandemic will cause some people to move out of the city again.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
No doubt some would move to country but I think most would stay right where they are for the easier life style.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I'm sure some will -- for awhile at least.

Though it also very likely depends on the nature of the area since in the south-eastern part of the US, there's already some pretty significant suburban sprawl (lots of 1-10 acre households) extending out from larger cities.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
There is more urban-to-rural migration, understandably so, and even though it may not be permanent, more folks will prefer the countryside life until the effects of this pandemic have become bearable. Right now, I prefer to be in and out of the city in intervals.

https://www.farmchat.com/members/jjp8182.10138/

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I'm sure some people will want to move to less-populated areas, but I don't think it will be an overwhelming number of people. Unfortunately, many people are still under the impression that the virus isn't a serious issue. Personally, I'm glad that I live in a rural area.

Toppext

Toppext

Responding to another new post got me to thinking. Do you think people will have had enough of the city life now that they will start moving, if they have the mean$, out to more rural areas? If I lived in the city right now I think I would do everything possible to get out.
Yea

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
Real estate developers are the one's responsible for what we call suburbs, and they need to start building houses on larger lots, like an acre, when they develop these new suburbs. Call it "Developed (or planned) Social Distancing". Do that, and people won't have to move to the country.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Enough of that and there's not a whole lot of "country" left. The part of the Southeast I live in has some pretty extensive suburban sprawl. The 30+ miles I drive to work has 1-20 acre homes and a few "small" (most under 20 acres) fields pretty much the entire way. Can barely drive a mile in any direction without passing several homes.

Of course, by the perspective of some urbanites having a house on a quater acre lot is "country living" and "too far out" for them to feel comfortable (have a couple coworkers who married women like that -- despite both of the coworkers generally prefering wide open spaces themselves). So it's unlikely individuals like that will be leaving the major cities anytime soon ....

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I do think that some folks will want to move to a place where they aren't as crowded, but I don't think many of them will move to the country - mainly because they can't afford to buy a new home right now. I also think the city to country transition is quite an adjustment. If you've lived in the city your whole life, I think it would be a culture shock to move to the country.