Combines Cleaning My Meaner Gleaner

GaryD

I'm with Troy, I don't have the answer, and I too have tried some auto cleaners_polishes to no avail. I suspect the answer is a chemical one, something to do with oxidation but I would like to hear what anyone has tried that they thought helped. GaryD.

T__langan

I too tried some super duper stuff that is supposed to remove oxidation. The R50 we had at the time didn't really look too bad, I just tried it out of curiousity on a small spot and it didn't seem to do anything. I am of the school that a Gleaner's beauty is on the INSIDE. Remember this: JD's beauty is only skin deep, but their ugliness goes clear to the bone! Tom langan

Grainman

I see the green is still bothering you langan. Rust on silver seeders, interesting.

doubleclutch

Guys- I'm no metallurgist, but I think I remember that galvanized metal works because the zinc in it gets oxidized and spares the iron in the steel. When this starts to get used up, it probably would change the fininsh of the steel to the point that polishing won't fix it. What MIGHT work, (and I don't know this for sure-never tried it) would be to put a coat of automotive clear-coat on it. This would put the shine back on and maybe stop the oxidation for as long as the clear-coat lasts. Don't know how successful this would be, I know regular paint won't stick to galvanized metal. Might have to be content with that rugged weathered look.

Trent

There is a clear coat product called Color Back that works well on dull paint. lasts a couple years. Some dealers carry it or call Apollo sales, 1-800-283-4521. You can wet sand dull paint with 600 paper and spray it on and it looks like new. Don't know how it works on galvanized, I would not sand it, but it should still help.

sidekick

Pete, I used steel wool to remove oxidation,then sprayed on WD40 and let it dry

tbran

Guys please be careful with this tip... white vinegar_ water 50_50 sponged on , then washed with soap will brighten up MOST vintage galvanized metal. This must be done consistantly. Then applying a sprayed on commercial wax will keep her about the same. DON'T GO OUT AND WHOlESAlE START THIS WITHOUT TESTING ON PANElS SUCH AS INSIDE OF GRAIN BIN OR SHIElDS AS SOME VINTAGE GAlVANIZED REACTS DIFFERENTlY. We have made some old machines look better than new. Others it doesn't help much and we have streaked a few before . Yeah, to the people who appreciate a no maintainance covering that doesn't chip or rust- the galvanized skin is trademark. To those who want a hotrod coating for the hotrod this tip MIGHT be just the thing. AGAIN TEST FIRST.

Coug_Fan

I always thought the weathering on the galvanized panels made them look meaner. The weathering also makes it easier to take pictures. (less glare) Funny thing, I went up and looked at a GH that's 26 years old and never has been in a shed that I know of. The ol gal's galvanized body really has darkened but no rust! Still looks good.