Combines Cob in grain tank

lbran

Have you performed any of the upgrades mentioned on this siteIJ If not, they will help eliminate most of your problems. However, can you give a little more detail on how you have it set,(ie: fan, cyl, concave etc.). In some varieties of corn, cob breakup is greater than others. Need just a little more info.

Silver_Sheller

Thanks for your quick reply. I went to the tip section but did not see any thing there that you refer to

tbran

In the posts below seems like most things I know of are covered. One thing though the high wire grate came in at 95 sn range. This helps a bunch. I have one customer who took the time to weld the pieces of cut wires he removed on top of remaining ones. This prevents cobs from laying in the opening and not rolling on out. We have removed every other wire from just about all our combines on the separator grate on low and high wire. The threshing grate both upper and lower - you don't need to do this only on high wire grate as they are wide enuff. The narrow spacing does cause the grates to plug and decreases capacity and makes smaller cob pieces. Opening up the openings results in larger pieces- easier to sep. If your problems are cob tips this is hard to fix. We run our sieve closer than most realize you can; tailings don't return to cyl and we have no problem in grain quality area. Be careful on opening up too much the modified screen. An 1_8 increase is a bunch of difference if cob removal is your goal. Good luck and stay in touch.

acre_eater

We had two R-52's at the same time. One had a round and one had a square tooth chaffer. When it came to getting small pieces of cob the square tooth chaffer did a much better job at removing small pieces of cob with out loosing capacity because you could leave the square tooth chaffer open a little wider. The square tooth chaffer is also easier to adjust in general.

Silver_Sheller

This message is trying to find out the recomendations in the tip section that Hyper Harvest refers to in his posting to Silver Sheller on Sep. 19 I click on tips section and do not find any recomended settings or do I see meaner gleaner.