Covering your horses

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
If you have horses, do you cover them up in the winter? When do you do this, everyday or only when it is below a certain temperature? We are kind of new to horses so I'm not sure what exactly we are supposed to do.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Depends on the horse. I always cover older horses (approaching 20 years old or older). I cover horses with any health problems. Some of my younger horses have always just taken their blankets off. And I've had horses who managed to get their blankets all twisted up and stuck on fences. Of course I've had many horses who like their blankets and don't mess with them.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Attentiveness to horse health and management becomes even more crucial during the cold months. Our temperatures are never that extreme, so we don't always blanket. However, we always ensure that they have access to a protective shelter.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We do cover ours here. It gets mighty chilly here in the winter. We also make sure that they can get out of the elements during storms and frigid temperatures. We have had a few get their blankets off too.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Yes, all of my horses have free access to a draft free barn. They can come and go as they please. That is essential. I had one horse who lived to a very old age. He loved the snow and if it was snowing, he insisted on being outside and he loved to get completely covered in snow. A waterproof, insulated blanket was important for him.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Thanks everyone for your ideas. @Rich that horse sounds pretty funny. I've never encountered one that loved to be out in the snow. I'm glad he has an insulated, waterproof blanket.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We consider all of our animals, including our horses, to be part of our family. We do everything we can to make them happy.