Cow Down Can T Get Up

Hamlet

I have a cow down, can't get up. Her back legs have seemed paralyzed ever since her last calf. She's eating well, and her temperament is fine. The vet says that sometimes they pull through this, but I'm worried. Have you ever had one that recovered after being paralyzed?

IH tractorman

IH tractorman

Farm Hand
I think the vet says that to make you feel better. we have had a few like that but never had one to recover from nerve damage while calving, we even hand fed one cow for over 2 months, made a sling to hold her up, but finally had to put her down. in the end she gave up trying to stand

Highlandcross

Sounds course, but save yourself some time/frustration and put a bullet in her. If, by some miracle, she did pull through and walk again, there's a good possibility that the next calf would cause the same issue. Just the bull getting on her could pinch that nerve again and put her down. It sucks, but that's just what it is.

LouNY

This is to late for the cow being questioned, but they make a lifter that will fit around the hip bones and you can get her lifted and up many times they will come out of it and be fine.