Cows Express Their Emotions

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I always figured cows talk to one another, but today I learned that cows will actually change the pitch of their moos based on what emotional they're feeling. Has anyone noticed differences in your cows' moos based on what they seem to be feeling? If we can learn to distinguish how our cows are feeling, we can provide them with a better quality of life.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
Some I can and some I can't. Some don't make much noise at all. Each person in my crew has one or two favorites that they swear they can understand. It's nice to know that our cow to human translations just might be correct.

Melvin

Melvin

Farm Hand
Some people believe that animals don't have emotions. I am not one of those people. I'm glad this study lends some credence to that belief. If I have a cow for a long time, I get to know him or her and can tell how he or she feels.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I've heard differences and some of the most heart-wrenching bellowing/moos I've heard from cattle was when a trailer of full of cattle went off the interstate and overturned in front of my parent's place years ago....

Thing is I've also seen they can have different "facial expressions" (which would make some sense since they do have muscles around their skull),and found this article a few years ago:
Cow comfort: 5-minute facial assessment
- which was something I found after a trip out to part of the high desert in California where I saw a a great many cows at an operation that had "facial expressions" that (for lack of a better phrase) looked suicidally miserable.