Coyotes are still howling

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
It is such an eerie sound, listening to the coyotes call each other across the hills. What do you do on your farm to protect your animals from coyotes? We have not had any animals come up missing this year.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We have a pack of coyotes here. When I had my goat farm, I used llamas as guard animals. I never had a problem with coyotes.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Make sure you don't leave anything out they can scavenge because they're pretty opportunistic. Keep tight lids on your garbage cans. I thought it was a raccoon that was getting into our trash, but when I looked at the camera I saw a coyote knocking it over. They usually go after smaller animals like lambs and chickens, so reinforce those areas if you raise small livestock. We have coyotes around here, but I've never had a problem with them attacking the animals.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
A sturdy, well trained farm dog will alert you if a pack comes down. From there, buckshot. Especially if there's 3 or 4. A loud bang followed by spraying pellets is a good deterrent.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
It sure is eerie isn't it? I always take a gun outside with me at night. I just don't want to be caught off guard with them. We have not had any problems in a few years. We lost a couple of barn cats a few years ago.

Camoo4

Camoo4

Farm Hand
Coyotes are terrifying for sure! I make sure our cat and smaller dog are inside when it's dark.

Anyone ever seen one in the daytime? Do they come out then or just at night?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
Thanks for the tips. We do have dogs so I'm guessing that is why they aren't bothering our other animals. They are howling tonight for sure. It's like the packs are talking back and forth.