Combines Cutting Feeding setting s farm progress report

DannyBoy

Why doesn't Gleaner support or use the Mods you guys have spent so many years perfectingIJ I'm kind of new to this site. Is there a story or reason why they don't use themIJ The setup you guys are using are field proven, not drawn up on some Drawing broad as how the Machine should be setup. Sounds like AGOC Gleaner's RandD and Marketing folks needs to wakeup. There are now two Class 7 combines to complete with the R72. You have proven the Gleaners have the Capacity built in them. But, the guy's at the company can't get that capacity out of them. Sounds to be like some heads needs to roll. Or someone needs a good A$$ chewing to them there. It's high time them boy's step up and get it right, or be a man and say we can't get it and ask for help!!!!! You did offer...

Wayne

We used to sell the Johnston bean saver. It is a 3" galvanized channel cut into 12" lengths with pivot bushings at each joint so it can flex with the knife. It bolts on usually to the guard bolts behind the knife. This system is well liked by customers for both saving beans and keeping out rocks but it is very expensive and makes hold down adjustment difficult. One of my customers read about another farmer who used plain old 2" plastic water pipe, slit it from end to end and bolted it behind the knife using the attaching hardware on the feathersheet hold down plate. This apparently worked very well but requires a lot of time for installation. My service people wanted to try this system for doing demonstrations but we needed to have something that was quick to remove in case the customer didn't like it. What we came up with seems to be the best of both worlds. Just take a piece of 2" I.D. sprayer suction hose which is 2 1_2" O.D. (about $2.00 per foot) and fasten it to the back of your hold down clips (by the bolt) with a hose clamp about every 2'. When using the conventional Gleaner knife the hose clamps will fit right through the rectangular holes in the hold downs with a bit of grinding but on other knives you will need to fabricate some clips to attach to the bolts immediately behind the guards. We have since shown this to many customers who have really liked it. ( now we sell a lot of sprayer hose for other than spraying) Hope this helps...Wayne

JR

I've heard of using conduit clamps with one ear cut off to hold the 2 inch suction hose. The clamps will have a hole to use with the regular guard bolt.

T__langan

Spoken like a true wise man! Welcome to THE site! Tom langan

T__langan

Shucks, even if the 72 was set to do a decent job without the Hyper mods, dropping trash in a windrow will make the Gleaner "look" bad compared to the rest - even if it's really doing a better job. That tight little windrow with 12 rows worth of harvest loss looks a lot worse than a wide Deere_CAT windrow. Worst part is, I really don't think most non-Gleaner guys realize this and take that into account.

hymark

Hyper, the air reel is gaining popularity in the east with all of the premature spitting of beans out the pod, or preharvest lodging due to drought. It is saving up to seveal bushels per acre over here. HyMark

Brian

An aquantence of mine was at the farm show. Keep in mind this person is not a farmer and has no particular favorite combine. Anyway, he claims to have witnessed the "grain sample contest" on the second day. He said that the results were 1 Gleaner, 2 New Holland, 3 Case-IH, 4 John Deere STS, 5 Cat. Just think how good the sample could've been if Agco knew how to set up a combine.