Combines Cutting out wires in concave

T__langan

It does look like it would let a lot of cob through - and you can even set it to do this if you want cob mix high moisture corn. Just play around with the concave clearance and rotor speed untill it doesn't break cobs up as much. Drier corn is easier due to the cobs being harder. Also, corn varieties will make a difference. With an N6, you have a huge shoe to work with - we have a smaller R50_52 shoe and don't have any trouble with shoe overload due to cobs. I would give you specific settings but we don't have any. It seems what works great one year or in one hybrid, doesn't in another - just adjust as needed. Most of the time, we can get our Gleaner set to roll whole cobs out with very few exceptions. Good luck!

Brian

Just have faith! It works. We did it to our N5 then R60 (P1). My dad was nervous too, especially soybeans. Rather than explain why wide space works I'll mention why a narrow one is inferior. Narrow spaces wires get plugged with cob and in a sense you have a "closed" concave. A closed concave makes leads to more grinding of corn and greater horsepower requirements. Do like my dad did, he removed them and stored them so that if wide space didn't work he could put them in again. If you ever lose them I'll send you two sets of wires free of charge. Brian

Hyper_Harvest_II

Pete, You mention old style in your post.If your concave has the welded mesh material,only cut every other wire out of the rear four rows.If you remove any more than this with the welded in mesh material,your concave will not have enough strength to survive.Now if you have the newer style concave with round rod style wires,you can remove every other wire on the whole concave.Keep this in mind on cob breakage.You can span a cob 2" before it will break.Wires on older concaves are on 7_8"-1" centers.Wires in concaves are only there to hold material on concave so grain can thresh against grain.Removing every other wire will not effect thresh in corn_soybean,and will give more seperation area on concave.You want to acheive 100% thresh and 60% plus seperation at the concave.This is why you need to remove wires.Do it and don't look back!!!!18 yrs should be enough proof for in field performance.