Dealing with wind

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
It's been horribly windy and that's not something I'm used to having. It's already toppled my corn and green beans. I know how to solve the problem when there's too much rain or not enough rain, but wind is new to me. I guess I need some sort of a windbreak like I use with my livestock during the winter, but I don't see how that's practical. There must be something I'm missing.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I guess I need some sort of a windbreak like I use with my livestock during the winter, but I don't see how that's practical. There must be something I'm missing.
You don't need it to go around all of your crops. Just the ones that are tall and vulnerable. If it's really bad, then protect the crops you most care about. And since it seems as though you don't live in a windy part of the world, you don't need anything permanent. It doesn't take a lot. String a tarp up to block out the wind. Heck, some old political signs, the ones you drive into the ground, could do the trick next to small fruits and vegetables like strawberries and hot peppers.

Last edited:

MartyR

Farm Hand
If those strong winds were a fluke, then I'd probably let it go rather than waste time on fixing something that is unlikely to be a problem in the future. If the corn isn't salvageable, feed it to your livestock so it's not a total loss. You probably already thought of that though.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
It has been very windy here too. Thankfully our crop isn't out of the ground yet to have damage. If it keeps happening I would put up a tarp. It doesn't have to stay up long term if you don't have that issue often.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
If those strong winds were a fluke, then I'd probably let it go rather than waste time on fixing something that is unlikely to be a problem in the future.
Or is this the new normal due to climate change? Lots of abnormal changes are occurring so do we need to adapt our agricultural methods and landscape to prepare for these fires, floods, and heavy winds or is it all just a coincidence that won't come around again for several years? Of course, no one knows for sure right now. However, I'd rather get it done now as a precaution because I'm an old man. I'd better get on with it while I'm still in good health.

@BIGRED, that's probably what I'll do. I'm glad to hear that your crops weren't damaged by the wind.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I didn't mean to sound so dismissive, @Henderson. We're a young couple and still getting established, so I was looking at it as taking on an expense that might not be necessary and projecting our situation onto yours. I understand what you mean about taking precautions. I work away from home, usually for a week or two at a time. I do some things that are possibly avoidable, because I don't want the heavy lifting to fall to my wife while I'm away.