Digital farming

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
Over the last 70 years, the world population has tripled. The projection is that it could reach 10 billion by 2050. What conditions will support innovations and the adoption of modern farming techniques? What role can farmers play to ensure the right balance between producing more food and sustaining the planet?

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I think we're great at growing food. What we aren't great at is handling the supply chain and the logistics needed to move the food where it needs to go.

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
I think digital farming has a lot to offer, but unfortunately, incorporating the technology is still financially prohibitive for most farmers. As such, I just don't see it having a bag impact on the issues you raised, @FarmEnthusiast. I'm optimistic that we can all do our bit to improve sustainability. I hope it's one of those situations where every little bit helps and can make a difference, so long as enough people are engaged.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
You are right, @Emergency Cake. Whereas innovation and technology are needed, the cost may be prohibitive for most farmers. I think that a gradual uptake of innovations will define the future. Do you feel like farmers require more support and incentivized legislation?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Every time I read the thread title I think someone is trying to bring back Farmville. It used to be an extremely popular game on Facebook. I never understood why. To answer the question (finally) I think each of us has the responsibility to do what we can. To do our best to grow food without harming the environment and to recycle whenever possible.