Diversified farming

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
I've heard people say that a majority of farmers prefer to specialize in one type of farming. Others grow more than one crop or rear various animals. Who does diversified farming suit, and when is it best to start?

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
I diversify what I do. I just see the entire business as being a bit too unstable to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
It is risky to put all your eggs in one basket. Farming is a risky venture, but diversification should happen after a farmer has acquired enough experience. It is a costly venture as well!

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Diversification is one way in which farmers aim to boost their revenue. Engaging in one enterprise works for some. However, putting eggs in different baskets helps farmers to remain economically viable.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
The people who grow their own food for their own consumption diversify all the time as a matter of course. Green beans one year, lettuce the next, etc....

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The people who grow their own food for their own consumption diversify all the time as a matter of course. Green beans one year, lettuce the next, etc....
I would classify this as crop rotation. My understanding of diversified farming is where a farmer embarks on more than one type of farming. They can rear cattle, poultry, grow corn and mushrooms simultaneously.