Do you have a buddy?

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Do any of your livestock seem more bonded to you than the others? I have a goat named Gus that follows me around while I work. He often demands petting and watches for me in the morning. He sticks with me for most of the day when I'm out in the fields. Just wondering how many of us have a farm buddy.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Even when I had 120 goats and 40 sheep. All had names and my wife and I considered them all pets. But of course some bond with you more than others. I had one Alpine doe (goat) that would stay with me in the milk house after I milked her. I could milk 6 does at a time. Freeway was her name, and she seemed to know when my back hurt as I sat on my rolling stool during milking time. She'd put the top of her head on my back and actually give me a message.

I had a mini-horse, named Thor, who thought he was a dog and he followed me around my farm. I didn't even have to put a lead on him, he stayed with me and never strayed.

I've had many other buddies. Of course my dogs are my best buddies of all.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
There will always be that one animal that takes the initiative and approaches the farmer. A certain heifer likes to follow me around the farm when the rest are minding their own business.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
It's funny you say that, I also have a goat (Gus) that follows me around. He's a real pain in the butt but he is my pal. My friend has a goat that does the same. I wonder if it's just a goat's way, to be chummy.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
It's funny you say that, I also have a goat (Gus) that follows me around. He's a real pain in the butt but he is my pal. My friend has a goat that does the same. I wonder if it's just a goat's way, to be chummy.
I used to have a diary goat farm, with 120 goats. Many of them were my buddies. Goats like to bond with humans. They make great pets.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I have a couple of friends who have goats as pets. I thought they were crazy! They don't own farms, they just live in the country. I don't have any "buddies" yet. I mean, my dog loves me.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
I used to have a diary goat farm, with 120 goats. Many of them were my buddies. Goats like to bond with humans. They make great pets.
Who would have thought that goats can make good pets? I just read that caring for them in this way requires a long-term commitment. Unlike the rest, pet goats like attention. I am starting to wonder if pygmy goats can make good pets?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Who would have thought that goats can make good pets? I just read that caring for them in this way requires a long-term commitment. Unlike the rest, pet goats like attention. I am starting to wonder if pygmy goats can make good pets?
Goats in general make great pets. They are smart, easily trained and are very loving. If you want a small goat, I would suggest Nigerian Dwarf goats over Pygmys. Nigerians are much more affectionate than pygmys. Pygmys can be somewhat aloof. Plus Nigerians are great milk goats.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Goats in general make great pets. They are smart, easily trained and are very loving. If you want a small goat, I would suggest Nigerian Dwarf goats over Pygmys. Nigerians are much more affectionate than pygmys. Pygmys can be somewhat aloof. Plus Nigerians are great milk goats.
Just what I wanted to hear because I recently discussed this with a friend who vouched for the Nigerian dwarf goats. What you say about pygmy goats being aloof is true, though having other goat companions makes them happy.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Pygmy goats make nice pets if you don't except a close relationship with them, but Nigerian Dwarf goats will be constant be constant close companions.