Do you work elsewhere too?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Just wondering how many of us have a day job outside the farm or bring in additional income through other means. I don't work elsewhere, but I give piano lessons to bring in a little more money. I love playing music and it allows me to buy extras for the kids.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
I do some construction on the side during the summer. My wife works as well. All in all we pay the bills but our farm has been paid off since my parents so not having a mortgage makes it easier. With a mortgage I would not be farming. Not with milk prices being under 17 for the past 5 years.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
No, I'm strictly in the cattle business. There's just isn't time to add anything else to the mix. Well, my wife makes botanical beauty products to sell at the farmers market, but I'm assuming you count that in with farming since we grow the crops and use the milk from our livestock.

markusarilus

markusarilus

I own an optical company that is three generational. Founded in 1967 , in the town of Barboursville. We fabricate eyeglasses, examine eyes and sell contact lenses and eye wear. I also operate a tool restoration and sharpening business and refurbish old vintage power equipment and small tractors. We used to have horses, pigs, chickens and rabbits but all we have now is a small flock of free range chickens.

rockinbbar

rockinbbar

Farm Hand
In addition to the ranch and cows I also have an agricultural brush control business. I shred ranches and control brush problems for them.

There's also that saying "Behind every successful rancher, is a wife with a job in town." ;)

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
My wife works outside the home and on the farm too (just not as much as me). I do side jobs, electrical. My brother is an electrician so I help him out.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
I'm retire now but mow 3 farm field twice month repair owners driveway when needed...little extra coins for wildlife feed.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I'm retired now, but I was a pharmacist. I'd go mad if all I had was farming. It's lonely work at times and it's too much of a gamble for me to plan my finances around it.

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
I'm a teacher during the regular school year. I supplement that income by working at the local community college as a research assistant during the summer months. None of it pays well, obviously.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
No, the plants are our livelihood. That involves selling from the greenhouse, running a landscaping business, doing some weddings, and maintaining the plants at several businesses in town, so it's a lot to keep up with.