Combines Engine run on

MacTech

My guess would be that either the ignition timing is off, or you've got some bad fuel (assuming of course that the power is actually being cut to the ignition system.)

rotor_man

Those engines will have a run on problem if the idle speed is too high. adjust your throttle linkage to run a max of 450-500 rpm at dead slow idle. check if they have an idle stop solenoid or other fuel cut off device. If linkage or govonor wear will not allow you to get the rpm low enough, as a last resort use the clutch to lug the engine down then turn off ignition.

Farmer_Ed

Hello. I don't know why a lot of them do that. It seems to be on the GM engines only. Our 292 Straight 6 GM does that too if you don't let them idle down for a couple of minutes. You can also stall them out like another person said, but they will usually backfire if you do that. Just let them idle down and make sure you put some lead additive in them if it (the head) isn't reworked. Also a can of carb cleaner made for fuel tanks cleans the carbon also helping a great deal. Ours works great, but still once in a great while will get it.

Keith_williams

It's just a "normal" 250 chev. I usualy place it in 3rd gear and let out the clutch as I hold the brake, or I hit the choke at the same time I cut the key. The choke cuts it's air off and it's set the next time you go to start it. I believe the root cause is the idle is set too high. Any GM engine will diesel if the idle is too high.