Fall activities for kids

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I've been keeping my grandkids who aren't old enough for school. I do this to try and help my children out. Due to the pandemic, they don't have many choices for childcare anymore. I don't mind watching them and they're well-behaved, but I'm worried about what we'll do as the weather starts cooling off. What are some activities that are ideal for fall weather? If we have to move things inside, what are some activities that will let them blow off energy without wrecking the house?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I got you covered. Gather your grandkids in the house and have a finding competition. You name what you want, they find it, and whoever brings it back to you first wins that round. Try not to pick a single item. Like you wouldn't ask for your glasses if you only have one pair. That will cause a fuss amongst the children and someone might get hurt if it turns into shoving and pulling. Instead, give a description that likely covers multiple objects. Find me something soft. Find me something that starts with the letter "b". Find me two things that are red. And so on. You can even make it a learning activity. Have them return the items between rounds or once the game ends.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
How old are the children? Do you have the internet? There are many free teaching websites that you could use. You could also buy craft kits or look up fun crafts on Pinterest. They could make things for gifts for their parents.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Play statues. Turn on some upbeat music and let the kids dance. Once you turn it off, the kids must stop dancing immediately. Whoever stops last has to sit down and the game continues until there's a winner.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
Tie some string in the house to make a mini-obstacle course. Any time they cross that part of the house they must do so without touching the string.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
You guys have some great ideas!

@Urban Homestead, if you don't mind my asking, how would I go about making it educational? I'd like to do that, but I'm not sure how.

@Roo4, they are ages two to five, so quite young still. The five-year-old just missed the birthday deadline to start school, though I'm not sure her parents would've sent her anyway.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
@Urban Homestead, if you don't mind my asking, how would I go about making it educational? I'd like to do that, but I'm not sure how.
You could read a book about shapes, have them make different shapes with playdough, then have the kids hunt for items that have those same shapes. Find me something that's shaped like a circle. Find me something that's shaped like a crescent.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Thanks for the explanation, @Urban Homestead. I can manage that and I bet their parents will appreciate it. I need to pick up some playdough after church today. I had forgotten about that stuff and it always kept my kids entertained when they were little.

Gardenry

Farm Hand
Unless it's truly frigid, I'd still encourage them to go outside as much as possible. Just bundle them up in warm clothes and let them play and they'll stay warm.