Combines Feeder chain skips a cog

Dan

Dave, If you are in corn get the strippers installed just ahead of sprockets. If you have a rock sump installed that can do it. A rock door hump will improve feed to cylinder thus reducing chance of jumping a cog. To large of cylinder clearance can cause poor suction thus cause load on chain. Poor cylinder bars or helicals can cause a load on the chain. Extending second helical from gearbox over feeder opening will reduce load on feed chain. Hope this helps. Dan

Ed

My R50 does this about once every fall. Dan's right - normally in corn. R50 has no place to install strippers though, without creative welding. I've generally had the chain assembly jump completely off the drive sprockets. Split the chain and get it back in place. Not fun in the dark!! No useful advice here but a good tight chain has given me less problem that an older one.

T__langan

Your singin' to the choir on this one with me!! Our R50 had this happen at least once a day in corn. Our wunderful dealer at the time told us to run feeder on fast setting - even for corn. Once we got some GOOD advice and started running it on slow position, it NEVER happened again. Could this be your problemIJ Remember, the pulleys down by the head are the drivers - the large one is fast and small one is slow. Took me a few minuites to figger that one out myself when we switched to the rotaries! Good luck!

Dan

Ed, I believe the R52 strippers will bolt right in. Some chance you would have to drill the holes but I know not on the newer 50's. Take care. Dan

tbran

The second epistle of Feeder chains.In the beginning were the feeder beaters. The feeder beater was good. The feeder beater yea verily would not getteth the crop to the cylindereth of the rotaries. (neither was it equippedth with a reverser yet) On the second generation the feeder chain idea was borrowedth from the heathen. The feeder chain was driven by two sprockets (sometime three) . The only way a chain can "jump" a cog is through excess slack from somewhere. In the case of our machines it comes from a slug tightening the idler chain thus allowing the sprocket to continue to turn and the chain not on the slack side. Also a slug entering between the sprocket and chain will do this. (This is what the dreaded strippers ((metal not female)) try to prevent.) This, as referred to in other posts, causes the slats to take a "set" and slightly preload the chain in the sinful "want to jump" condition. Straightening out the wanten chain by loosening and retightening slats as prescribed below is paramount for future performance. Second the chain speed is important. If it runs too fast it can "whip" ; never run the chain on fast speed if you have variable speed drive over 50 % overspeed.As well in heavy wet down corn with lots of fodder you can run the chain TOO SlOW. This will slug the chain as well. Feed drum shocks, proper max. tention on feed drums springs, and the tip of extending the heilical on the top lh (view from rear) entrance to the processor will generally eliminate the unholy jumps. Having the older low wire grates "dewired" , 3_4 spaced bars, adding the two missing helical bars and cutting the paddles and extending bars will lessen sluggin as well. (after doing this my chain hasn't jumped once- knock on wood) Yea verily this is all I can remember 'bout this subject... amen, for now. Revelation-the other heathens ain't rid theirselves of the "jumps" completely either, if its any consolation.

T__langan

Watch out folks - next he'll be showin' up at your door handing out pamphlets! *grin*

Dan

Ed, Sorry to here of your luck. With wrapping feed shaft you need to have header opening in narrow position and feeder drum sucked back into housing in rearmost position. That will normally cure problem. A R50 does have square tube ahead of drive sprockets which is further away than later machines and I believe that makes it more prone to wraping. I did mention some other things recently in previous posts that would make that feeder perform in most any straw condition. I hope your day is better tomorrow. Dan

tbran

this is the third time to try to post.. even computers .....anyway it just occured to me, what is your sn. The problem may be the rear chain is not grabbing the straw from the front. This problem is addressed in bulletin 7 with kit 71358949 which was furnished to all combines in sn range thru 2864. The dimetions set forth here are critical. Bull. no. 16 kit 71365306 also addresses this problem.