Combines Feeder house chain speed

T__langan

Your dealer is correct, that is odd. Usually, with a grain table, you want the feeder chains set on high speed pulleys (large driver, small driven) and just the opposite with a corn head. If you run your corn head fast and have chains on high speed, they really get to hummin'. We used to do this as per bad advice from a dealer and had the chains jump cogs at least twice a day. Since slowing them down, we've never had a chain jump since. It is strange that your feeder would plug on fast setting and not on slow but whatever works, do it! Perhaps on fast setting, beans were trying to backfeed behind front chain before rear got a chance to grab the material. What height settings have you got your feeder drums set atIJ

cornbinder

You should definitly be running on fast speed in soybeans. First make sure you are on corect pulleys. Can be a little confusing in that area. Drive pulley is front shaft.YOU KNEW THAT. Then make sure you have extended flighting on your header at throat. R52 has small throat. R62 has bigger throat which requires some flighting removal. I plugged feeder house once on slow speed but NEVER had a problem on fast! GOOD lUCK!

Foxtail

Is your variable speed header drive locked on slow speedIJ

John

Thanks for the answers, I have the variable speed pulley locked in slow speed. I have also installed the extra flighting on the auger and the extra tin on the header for the R-52. The chains and drums are in the up postion. Both the top and bottom chains. I have wondered if the chains are on the fast speed if the material can get separated in the machine, creating groups of material. But when in the slow speed the material flow in constant and thus no gaps. If I get it figured out I will report back.