Finicky chickens

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I have a few chickens that just won't leg any eggs. What do you do to encourage them to lay eggs? I mean, I know we can butcher them to have the meat but I'd rather they produce eggs.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Many breeds of chickens don't lay eggs at all this time year and those that do lay less often than usual. Don't worry, when the days start to get warmer and longer in spring, I bet your hens will speed up production again.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I have a few chickens that just won't leg any eggs. What do you do to encourage them to lay eggs? I mean, I know we can butcher them to have the meat but I'd rather they produce eggs.
First of all, how old are they? Are they mature? Second, as Smarty Plants said, some breeds of chickens don't lay eggs in the winter. You can often fix that by putting a light on in the hen house during the day.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
It would be useful to know how old your chickens are. Have they gone off-lay, or have not laid eggs before? If chickens haven't started laying yet, feed them with either developer or grower feed. You can then introduce layers' pellets at 20 weeks or when they start laying their first egg, whichever comes first.