Fire Extinguishers for the Farm

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen, but I'm thinking about getting at least one more. I'd like to have one for the barn. How many fire extinguishers do you have and where do you keep them?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I have two in the house, one is upstairs and one is downstairs. I have a two in the shop, one is in the office and the other is behind the counter. I have three in the barn, one extinguisher at each exit and one hung in the very middle. You should definitely get one or more for the barn! All that animal bedding and wood will burn quickly!

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
2 down stairs 1 upstairs 1 in shed 1for tractor.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
My insurance requires us to have several of them throughout the property. The firefighters came out and did an inspection and gave me tons of extra tips for how to best maintain fire safety. It was interesting, and they gave practical tips for fire prevention and how to lessen the impact if one is inevitable. Here they offer it as a free service won't even take donations for it. You might check if your community offers that as well. If they charged a fee it would be worth every penny to me.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
We have 1 in the kitchen of the house and a larger one in the garage where chemicals and gas are. Just a tip, but if you have those sorts of things in a garage or out-building, keep them by a window or a door and keep the fire extinguisher on the other side of the building.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
I think it's definitely a good idea to have an extinguisher for your barn. Maybe even two or three if your barn is large. That way, you'll always be able to get to an extinguisher quickly if a fire breaks out.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Businesses have to have a certain amount in accordance to the square feet of the building per fire code. I don't see how that would be a bad idea for the structures on a property that a family has. Maybe there are insurance discounts for this.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
We have 2 and honestly I don’t think it’s enough but we somehow just sorted of forget the issue the other day usually. Recently talked about that as well though. Might get one more upstairs soon.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
We have a fire extinguisher for our kitchen, but I honestly hadn't thought of the potential for fires elsewhere around here. I know it sounds silly, but it just hadn't crossed my mind. I'm going to add getting a few more extinguishers to my to-do list and get on that.