Freeze dried vegetables

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
Has anyone ever tried to freeze dry your garden vegetables? We had a lot of leftover corn (we didn't sell) and my wife froze it. I've heard that people actually freeze dry corn. I know nothing of this, anyone know anything?

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I tried some of this freeze dried food (ice cream, candy) and I thought it was horrible! I never tried vegetables though. Would you add water to them when you were ready to eat them, or eat them freeze dried? I thought the items I ate were super dry, made me very thirsty.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I'm not a fan at all. Those noodle cups with bits of vegetables are about as good as it gets when it comes freeze-dried food. I say feed the corn to your livestock.

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
I know how to dehydrate meats, fruits, and veggies, but that's as far as my skills go. My cat loves to eat freeze-dried chicken, so I'd love to know how to make it. It's so expensive to buy.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
All you need are a freezer and freezer containers. Plastic airtight containers, glass, or stainless steel containers are some of the available storage options. I usually dry my vegetables right after harvest.