Garden shredder - my new must-have

• Thread starter Urban Homestead
  • Start date
Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I bought a garden shredder on a whim, and I'm so glad that I did because it has quickly become a must-have piece of equipment. I live in a large city, but our property backs onto the woods. Sometimes things get a little overgrown. Using a mower could damage the blades or unbalance the deck, plus it might not even handle the little trees and branches at all. Then there's the matter of handling the debris, and it's illegal to burn it here. The garden shredder chops everything up so nicely that I just add it to my compost pile. I can send pieces of my hedges, twigs, kitchen waste, leaves, and cardboard right through this thing. It's made my compost pile more efficient since the shredded debris breaks down more quickly. I'm a new fan.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I've never heard of it, but I admit that it does sound handy. I used to have a wood chipper that I found endlessly useful. It kept my property free of the fallen limbs and twigs that rodents use for cover. Plus, I used the wood chips to mulch my flower beds. Sadly, it gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.

Grower

Grower

Farm Hand
That's efficient given your location and not being able to burn anything. You get to keep things more organized and even gather compost from the shredder. I guess you can count this as one of your best impulsive yet economic decisions.