Geese

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I'm curious about raising geese and wonder how they'd assimilate with my goats and chickens. Do geese need water like ducks? Are they as messy as ducks? I know they're quite a bit larger than chickens, so I'd need a docile breed if I go this route. Any suggestions?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
If you think that ducks are messy, then don't even think about raising geese. They are larger, they are louder, and they poop more. Like ducks, they're also happier if they have water to play around in. They are considered waterfowl after all. If I remember correctly, you treat your fowl and livestock more like pets. Are you looking for a farm animal that will provide you with something like eggs, milk, or fiber, or are you okay with something that doesn't give anything back?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Like Susanna said, geese are larger, louder and more messy. They need water to swim in and they're very aggressive. The best thing about them is, when I had geese, they were better watchdogs than my dogs were. I had people afraid to get out of their vehicles, because the geese would surround them and honk at them. If they got out of their vehicles, and the geese didn't know them, they'd usually experience goose bites.

Gardenry

Farm Hand
My neighbor has geese and they are always in our yard. They leave the cat alone, but they go after the dog sometimes. He's a huge lab and seems to enjoy romping with them. They poop a lot and it is so gross! They're friendly with us though. They chatter (honk) a lot and come to us chattering away like they're telling us about their day. We basically tolerate them like the neighbor tolerates our cat. They seem pretty social though.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Yes, geese can be messy, but this shouldn't discourage you from raising them. Typically, they get along well with other mammals, including cows, goats, sheep, llamas, and donkeys. They also require to be secured in predator-proof housing.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I appreciate you guys for steering me in the right direction. As much as I like geese, it looks like no-go for me.
Are you looking for a farm animal that will provide you with something like eggs, milk, or fiber, or are you okay with something that doesn't give anything back?
I just think they're a neat animal, but geese do lay eggs and goose down is used in bedding and coats, so I figured it could work. However, I can't risk having something around that might attack customers and my husband wasn't keen on the idea either, so no geese for me. I'm okay with something that doesn't give back, just so long as it won't hurt my other animals or disrupt my business.

Last edited:

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Some types of geese are friendlier than others. African Geese are REALLY aggressive, stay away from them.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I think you made the right decision! Geese are a pain in the butt. My neighbor has them and they are constantly bothering me. They are loud and messy. I would never get any geese.