Getting old and adapting

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
My husband and I are both getting up in years and it's gotten harder to keep things going. We have a lot of land, but it's mostly woods, and we're planning to downsize soon since our daughter approached us about buying half our land to build their house. We're not ready to retire though. We do have help with the livestock, but we handle the crops on our own. Can you recommend some equipment that can help us adapt? We grow vegetables and fruits and we have some nut trees. We usually keep a stall at the farmers market. We can't ride horses anymore and we can't use our walk behind tiller. We want to do as much as possible for ourselves or that defeats the purpose of our lifestyle. We're not ready to retire to Florida just yet.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I'm getting up in years myself, so I understand where you're coming from. Do you have horses already? Since you can't ride, why not swap them out for draft horses and use them for plowing and carting? You could also get a golf cart or ATV for getting around the farm.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Use knee pads when getting down on the ground to save your knees. I'm not sure how realistic this is for you guys to implement, but raised garden beds can keep you from having to bend over.

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
There are tilling attachments you can buy to pull behind a small tractor or riding mower. The same for sprayers actually.

And I for one wouldn't mind retiring and staying put where I am.

ms&r

Farm Hand
Could be time for a lifestyle change but I would contact my county agent for some possible ideas and get his thoughts. Isn't that his job?

kneedeep

kneedeep

Farm Hand
Grow crops that sell good and easy to deal with.
Sweet corn, peas, tomatoes can be harvested standing or on a big wheel garden stool.
I added a step on big tractor and use PATS quick hitch to hook up equipment. Keep PTO & hydraulic tips clean & lube for easy use.
If it hurts, dont do it.
Good luck & enjoy the Golden Years!

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
You guys have blown my husband and me away with your great advice! We appreciate you all for taking time out of your day to help us figure out how to manage our workload as we age. The support means more than you'll ever know! I was so afraid we'd get told to retire and call it a day. I'm glad to hear there are options for us to make it work.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
My Father-in law is 85 and still manages to plant 5 acres. Of course, he does most everything from a tractor ... except for picking. He quit growing okra and peas because he can no longer get down to harvest them.

As far as retiring to Florida ... you don't have to retire to move here ... and it's a great place to farm - we have flea/farmers markets, too.

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
We are in the same boat. Getting on in age. Hey, we qualify for seniors discounts!
My wife has a low stool that she sits on to tend the garden, so no kneeling.
In the green house we have raised beds, so easy planting & harvesting.
She likes to have a lawn, so she pushed a lawn mower around for years (before the wife, the yard around the house was part of a hay field, so I mowed it once a year)
when the push mower got to be too much work, we bought a ride on mower.
I try to use a machine for all the farming work, mostly works except for firewood, theres still a lot of stoop and carry there.
We quit making small square hay bales a couple years ago, getting young help on short notice is tricky.
Sold all the equipment used to make them so I would not be tempted.
Now we make only large round bales, and the tractor handles all the lifting and stacking just fine.
We use a post pounder to install fence posts, and usually rig up a way of carrying and unrolling fence wire off the truck or 4 wheeler.
Instead of pounding in thousands of staples (I have elbow & shoulder issues) I use aluminum straps made for BX cable, fasten them to the wood post
with wood screws and a battery powered impact. Works well.
We do our own machinery repairs here, so we have a shop to do them in.
When working under vehicles got old like me, I bought a 2 post hoist (not that expensive really)
It can lift our full sized trucks, really makes life a lot easier.
The way we have things laid out around the farm, I shovel very little snow in the winter, can clear most of it with the tractor loader & 3 pt. snow blower.
We hope to keep farming well into our 70's

ms&r

Farm Hand
I think the most important thing one can do for ones self at our age and for any age for that matter is to clean up our diets. I know it works for me and I understand what works for me may not work for you, but I know how some foods make me feel even in my joints. So I have learned what those are and I avoid them. I try and eat only fruit for my sweets and I avoid vegetable oil and condiments like salad dressings and ketchup, I also try not to eat any fast food, this is the only way that I can stay active, otherwise I feel as though I'm pulling a load around and I'm in pain, but I also have energy to stay active when I keep a clean diet with zero pain and I don't take any pills.