Combines Gleaner M2 parts commonality

lbran

What year model M2, better yet, what is the s_n of your M2IJ Really need to know that.

T__langan

I was always under the impression that the "M" Series was the same as the "l"'s only everthing was 8" narrower and one less straw walker. My guess would be that sprockets, chains, belts, and pulleys would be similar but cross-shafts would be shorter on the M's. Again, I'm not an expert on this so the dealers on this board will probably have more precise info fo you. Only thing you'll need in a hurry during harvest is more wagons and trucks to haul the grain away! Thinking of this reminded me of something I always though of when we had an M3 - there were times when we were cutting high yielding high moisture corn that we would plug the clean grain elevator on our machine. We always kept the elevator chain at the correct tension and the grain bin fill auger flighting was in excellent shape so those weren't causing this. It didn't happen very often. Now, keeping in mind that the M3 and the l3 had identical clean grain elevators that ran the same speed, one could say that the l3 didn't have any more capacity in corn than the M3, even though it had more threshing and separating area. We had a neighbor that had an l3 that would always brag about that big monster and all her capacity but I laways figured that he couldn't do any more than we could. He had a habit of plugging his clean grain too. I'm sure that in cereal crops where there is a lot more straw in comparison to grain, the l3 would easily walk away from the M3. Anyone else have any comments to support_contradict this theoryIJ Good luck!

Tom

Dan, I cant speak for lbran because as you know, he is one of a kind. There were many significant changes in 78 and 79 so values for combines in comparable condition could vary greatly. As one who owned an M2 and l2 for several years, I would say you should have no problems with parts commonality. Bearings, sprockets, sheaves, belts and other wear items are all the same. Tom Russell

Dan

Thanks, Tom. I've just remembered the guy said he also has an l2 so I guess a careful look at both machines might go some way to answering my question, too.