Goat ear mites

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
One of my goats keeps shaking his head and rubbing it along the fence. I've checked him over and both his ears smell bad. They're pretty dirty inside. I need to do a better job of keeping all their ears clean to begin with, but with this one I'm fairly sure it's ear mites. Is there a way to tell without resorting to calling the vet? My vet is on vacation until after Christmas. The goat is still playful and has a healthy appetite.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
The gunk in its ears should resemble coffee grounds. Sometimes you can tell that it's blood. If the gunk is yellow or green then it's more likely to be an ear infection instead. Mites can lead to an ear infection, but the coffee grounds will still be there as the tell-tale sign.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you practice plant breeding, which means you probably have a microscope on the premises. Take a sample by scraping the goat's ear and put it under the microscope. You should be able to see the mites moving.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you practice plant breeding, which means you probably have a microscope on the premises. Take a sample by scraping the goat's ear and put it under the microscope. You should be able to see the mites moving.
Doh! Why didn't I think of that. I've never felt so much like Home Simpson in my life, but that's totally who I'm channeling with that one.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
@Petal to the Metal, I have those moments too when I should've known the answer, but totally blanked at the time. It happens to us all. I hope your goat gets better soon!

cooperp7342

cooperp7342

The gunk in its ears should resemble coffee grounds. Sometimes you can tell that it's blood. If the gunk is yellow or green then it's more likely to be an ear infection instead. Mites can lead to an ear infection, but the coffee grounds will still be there as the tell-tale sign.