Goat milk

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
Growing up my neighbors always had goats and drank goats milk. We are thinking of getting a few goats for this reason. We have cows already, both beef and dairy. Are there any benefits to goats milk?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Goat milk is much better for you than cow's milk. Goat milk is naturally homogenized. Also, for some reason it's easier to digest. Often people who are lactose intolerant can digest goat milk. and fresh goat milk just taste better. When our ganrdkids were little, they prefered our raw goat milk over their normal cow's milk. They called it "juicy milk", which, to them meant that it was sweeter

Last edited:
TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
That's interesting information Rich. I didn't know it was sweeter. I've had it a few times, never as a standalone drink though. Are people allergic to goat's milk too?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
PEople can be allergic to almost anything, so they can be allergic to goat milk. Regarding it's taste, it has to be FRESH, and you have to make sure that you keep the buck away from the does. During breeding season, the bucks get VERY stinky and the milk can absorb that stink. I used to keep my bucks in a completely different section of the farm.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
Goat milk is an acquired taste. If you're used to cow milk, it takes some time to adjust to the different taste.

It is very good for you though.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
If it's very fresh, it really doesn't taste that much different. Many people have tried canned goat milk, and think that's what goat milk is supposed to taste like. Not even close.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I have tried canned goat milk and I thought it was horrible! I have never tried fresh goat milk before. Thanks Rich for the information, I am going to have to try it. Now I wonder where I can get some fresh goat milk.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I have tried canned goat milk and I thought it was horrible! I have never tried fresh goat milk before. Thanks Rich for the information, I am going to have to try it. Now I wonder where I can get some fresh goat milk.
Holii, see if you have any local goat farms who bottle their own milk near you. If not, local health food stores may carry fresh goat milk. Canned goat milk is TERRIBLE, but then canned cow milk is pretty bad, too.