Gourds

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
We tried growing gourds this year. I took last years gourds and threw them in a big pile of dirt in the corner of the yard (on the bank by the crick). If they were going to grow, when would they have started? I tossed them there last fall.

Patric

Farm Hand
I would have thought they would be growing already. I know they are a fall plant but you should see some leaves and the vines. Did you think they would just rot and the seeds would grow more?

Ecohugger

Ecohugger

Farm Hand
Gourds can be grown anywhere on the ground, but if there's still no sign of growth, they may have received insufficient sunlight. Usually, it only takes 5 to 6 months for them to grow. It can thrive without much care, but the quality of the soil still has an important role. Do you think maybe its roots encountered a problem?

Grower

Grower

Farm Hand
I would have thought they would be growing already. I know they are a fall plant but you should see some leaves and the vines.
That's true. Vines should start to appear as soon as ten weeks after plantation because it'll need time for pollination. If it hasn't grown yet, I'm afraid it won't mature enough and rot.

Thyme Flies By

Thyme Flies By

Farm Hand
I doubt the seeds survived the winter, since they'd inevitably get wet and freeze. Maybe if they were dried out first it could work? I usually just save a few seeds for next year's harvest and start fresh. You guys might know of a hardier variety though.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Still nothing. I was hoping that by just tossing the rotten gourd in the ground it would work. I'll try to dry the seeds this year and give that a go. We go all out for Fall decorating, it would be nice to grow our own.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
If your gourds are hybrids, then the seeds may be sterile. I bet your yard and home both look beautiful, @Holli. I love it when people decorate. It brightens up the whole neighborhood. I decorate a bit myself. It makes me feel good.