Ground Versus Raised Chicken Coops?

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I'm planning to build my chickens a larger chicken coop because I'm adding to our flock. I want to make sure there's plenty of room for everyone to be content. My current chicken coop sits on the ground, but I'm seeing lots of plans for raised chicken coops. Do you think one type is better than another? Are there benefits to having a raised coop?

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Raised might make it easier to feed, grab chickens, etc. The only thing I know is it will be a putrid smelling mess so put it away from the house.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
It keeps the coop warmer inside since it won't absorb the cold from the ground. It's less likely to flood or to let in snow and ice. The designs you're seeing are probably meant to maximize space. So the coop is raised in order to allow the chickens to use the area underneath the coop as a dust bath area, a place to hold water, or whatever. Raising the coop makes the run a little larger.

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
A raised coop provides some shade and it's a spot to hide under when one of them spots a hawk. Coops on the ground are easier to clean, in my opinion, and you can have a dirt floor which is cheaper. However, they're also more likely to attract mice. I prefer to use a raised coop, but one isn't necessarily better than the other.

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
Raised or on the ground, they need to have a private place to lay eggs, a place to roost, and has been said, a place to hide form perceived threats.

naykid

naykid

Farm Hand
Ours is built on an old hay wagon running gear. Gave us 7'6" X 14'6" and moves nicely.

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
Ours is built on an old hay wagon running gear. Gave us 7'6" X 14'6" and moves nicely.
Sounds nice and easy to move to fresh grass.
So how do you coop them up, keep them safe from predators?

naykid

naykid

Farm Hand
The man door is on the rear of the wagon. It is a double door, solid door outside and hardware cloth door on inside. There are 2 nest box collecting doors on the front end. The birds have a door through the floor that has a ramp to the ground. This door is controlled from the outside. Once they are inside for the evening the doors can be closed from the outside. The birds can hide below the wagon during the day and are locked up all night

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
So there is a screened area to contain them during the day?
Or do they free range away from the wagon?

We've been wanting to build something similar. I've worked out a design for a screened enclosure, but am stuck on getting wheels under it while still keeping them safe from foxes & coyotes. Don't want to make it too onerous to move the "chicken tractor"
Actually, I would like to build the same thing for pigs.

naykid

naykid

Farm Hand
They can free range. Under the wagon for shade and protection for hawks. Just need to close the doors at roost time. I am thinking an electric poultry fence for extra security. Moves easy with the skid steer or the Honda 700.