Hanging baskets of flowers

Charli

Farm Hand
I have numerous hanging baskets from years past. I want to make my own hanging baskets this year. Any tips on type of flowers? How many in each pot? Which ones last the longest because they aren't in the ground?

Camoo4

Camoo4

Farm Hand
I would start with a couple of spikes, a vine and some geraniums. We have made our own baskets for years and have had much luck each year. The key is to make sure you use good soil. We also use Miracle-Gro each week in the baskets.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
The standard rule is that you should only put one plant in a pot. It has to do with overcrowding, root systems, competition, diseases, and things like that. I follow that rule for houseplants and any plant that will last for more than a season. However, if you're planting annuals then I say go for it if you add more than one. They're going to die anyway once they're spent. Just be sure to gauge how big they'll wind up once they mature fully. Overcrowding the plants will do them no favors. Cascading flowers look great in hanging baskets.

Charli

Farm Hand
Yeah, only annuals here in our hanging baskets. I just get tired of spending hundreds of dollars on them when they just die. I made up 4 and so far they are looking good. I did use a little manure in the soil (just a little).

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
My wife makes her own too. She feels the same way as you, expensive. We were at an Amish greenhouse today and they had their simple baskets for 35 bucks! She bought many annuals for 20 and she will make 4 baskets.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
@Charli, some annuals can be grown from seed for super cheap. There's plenty to choose from - marigolds, alyssum, and impatiens to name a few.

@Camoo4, I grow commercially, but I've never sold the baskets because hanging plants typically dry out more quickly than others. Will you ask your wife how she keeps them wet enough, for long enough. I live in California, so any tips are much appreciated! I've even tried those water crystals, but my hanging pots and baskets still dry out before the water can do them any good.