Harvest blues

• Thread starter Urban Homestead
  • Start date
Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
This happens to me every year. Once my garden starts winding down and I begin preserving the last of the harvest, I get a little sad. I have a small fall garden for personal use, and I've planted some mums, but that will only get me through November. I love being outside in my garden so much that it's like therapy. Cold weather is coming. It will start getting dark sooner. Reaping the harvest is bittersweet for me. Anyone else? How do you overcome it?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I always get depressed in September. The summer is ending, and everything starts dying. October really depresses me even more, as the garden plants die and the trees loose their leaves. Daylight is so much shorter, and you can't spend as much time outside. The way I get over it is looking forward to spring. I actually feel better once winter kicks in. Snow doesn't bother me, but winter does go on a little too long here in upstate New York. But the longer winter goes, the closer we get to spring.

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
I usually have about three months out of the year when I don't have any clients. Not having a daily purpose can get pretty tiring, so I try to use that time in other productive ways. I spend it researching upcoming trends, looking at my advertising plan, and checking out my sources to make sure I'm getting the best price possible. It helps. Maybe something like that would help you?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I've always looked at it as a time to rest and a time to get caught up on home maintenance and spend time with the family. When you're feeling down, pull out the seed catalogs and begin planning next year's crops.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I feel you! I used to get pretty sad when this time of year rolled around. Now I get excited! I switch out all of my outside decor to my fall decor. I change the flower beds, using mums, pumpkins and gourds.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
My sunflowers are in full bloom! I still have a lot of fall vegetables too. I do admit that when the flowers die, I get sad. Our leaves are starting to change into beautiful red, orange, yellow and brown.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
That's one of the reasons that I have a greenhouse. Can you get one of those? A hoop house will also extend your harvest season if you want something that's low-maintenance. You can also force some flowers to bloom inside. Most bulbs are good for this and it will bring some cheerful color to your world.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Wow, you guys have been giving me some good suggestions. I felt a little foolish for bringing it up because it seems like such a small thing to complain about. Thank you all for caring enough to offer tips. I hope we can all get over our blues a little easier this time around.