Haunting the farm

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We've been asked by our small town if we/they could "haunt up" (their words) our barn. We have a big older, mostly unused barn (storage etc.). There is no trick or treating this year, another shut down from the pandemic, so they want a small party. Kind of like groups of 10 or so at a time. We said yes, can't wait to see what they do with it.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure the townsfolk will love that. We usually go all out for Halloween but not this year. I'm not sure if our town is doing trick or treating this year. I did hear that there won't be a parade.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
For free? I wouldn't want the liability. If one of your animals catches COVID (and we know it's possible) or someone at the "haunting" catches COVID it could destroy your business. You're taking on a lot of risk to your livelihood. It sounds like fun though and I hope it goes well if you move forward with it.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
It does sound fun but I do agree that it is a lot of risk. It sounds like they won't be around the animals if they are in a barn used for storage. I'd have the town sign a waiver before I let it happen at my house/farm.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Liability is a huge concern. You should go over this with your insurance agent.

Gardenry

Farm Hand
I wouldn't do it for free. You could throw this yourself and charge good money for it. However, if you still wish to help your city, and I understand why you might feel sympathetic, then I'd have the powers that be pay you a fee. Charging a fee, even if it's nominal, will help cover the operating expenses for this event and you will have expenses even if it's just electricity and dealing with the cleanup afterwards. Charging a fee also creates a sense of community buy-in, which means they'll be more invested in making sure everything goes well.

For what it's worth, I think it's incredible that you're thinking of others and just trying to do something positive for your community. But if it's not open to everyone, and it isn't since they want groups of 10, then whom are you really helping? I'd be aggravated if it was a party for wealthier folks and their kids. It's happened to me. It's usually presented as an event to thank the people of the community who have done X thing or donated Y amount or sponsored Z team and it all sounds great, but after volunteering to help I've gotten there and it's usually business people being thanked who don't need my help. It wasn't a great feeling.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
We've been asked by our small town if we/they could "haunt up" (their words) our barn. We have a big older, mostly unused barn (storage etc.). There is no trick or treating this year, another shut down from the pandemic, so they want a small party. Kind of like groups of 10 or so at a time. We said yes, can't wait to see what they do with it.
Farmallh, I think some folks might've read more into it than what it is. It doesn't sound like your property is being used to host a party at all. It's just going to be decorated for Halloween. The storage aspect will add to the creepiness factor. I'm picturing more of a hayride thing through the community that stops by different haunts and your barn is on the list. It sounds like your city is going to be charge of most of it, so I don't think liability will come into it unless people will actually be entering into the building. I personally wouldn't charge for something that simple, though I don't think it's wrong to do so either. I'm sure you'll benefit in other ways. In my experience you can probably expect to see your personal name, farm name, and/or business name mentioned within the event's advertising and in the newspaper. You'll probably be publicly thanked for your participation as well. That's good publicity!

Of course, I could've misinterpreted the situation too. Sorry if I did!

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
This sounds pretty cool to me. We are having a small get together at my farm (friends and family). We do this every year. The kids love it. We really aren't big fans of trick or treating, you just never know anymore.