Combines Help with R62

kenc

My thoughts would be sieve and chaffer adjustments. It may also be beneficial to try pushing your speed a little, as the faster things run through the machine the less breakage will occure. The new style wider bars will make a difference as well if not installed. Hypers extensions to the discharge area do wonders too.

Jeff

I've adjusted chaffer and sieve all over the board and have tried short round chaffer as well. If I close too much it runs corn out the back, a touch wider and the sieve will plug with small cob pieces, which is set just closed enough so I don't get a tank full of cobs. I have the front of the long round chaffer Hyperized as suggested here as well. As far as ground speed goes I am running to engine capacity-around 2350 on the tach. Things work fine for a little while and all of a sudden the pacer will be pegged to the left-running corn over the back. It is VERY touchy to get anything that works. My 84 N6 was far superior to set and for a clean grain sample. Thanks.

PETE

Something you may want to consider is running the middle and back of the chaffer tigher(7_16)and weld a 1 1_2" plate across the back edge of the shoe at the angle of the inspection door, the grain should drop down into the machine and the cobs stay on top with the plate keeping the grain from going out the back. Also a staggered 5_8 or 9_16 round hole corn screen helps to keep the cob out of the bin.

kenc

I'm stumped. I followed your procedure when I had a similar problem and it worked. The hot white cob hybrid was my biggest problem(mushy cobandvery large kernels).

PETE

This is presuming you are spitting out whole to half cob out the rotor. I quit raising white cob corn as it would not stay together in the rotor.

T__langan

There was some talk of this last fall and the pros here said it points to rotor constipation. You may want to extend your helicals into the discharge area and use extended cyl bars to discharge to keep things moving through faster. Also, extending the helical over the feed inlet to rotor will keep cobs from being recycled over the concave and crushed. We have similar problems at times with our R52. Mostly, for us, it depended on the hybrid. Some hybrids have soft cobs that break up easliy. We have run hard cob hybrids at 35% and roll out whole cobs fom rotor and the next field we'll run soft cob variety at 15% and have shoe overload from cob bits. We haven't yet extended our helical over feed inlet so that may help a lot. Try a different hybrid this year and do some of the mods and see what happens. Good luck-

Dan

I too think problem is in the rotor area but I think I'll touch on a few things starting at header. Make sure corn head auger left and right flighting intersects a bit in the middle of feeder opening area. Make sure hopper bottom filler panel is installed for that will eliminate a pocket inbetween header auger and feed chain. We have front feed chain drum stop set in grain front position and shocks installed. We have rear feed drum stops set at grain rear position. We install rear feed chain sprocket stripper to prevent chain from jumping a cog. We install rock door hump kit to improve feed to cylinder and help for rock portection. We like high wire concave to help prevent breaking up cobs. Wires should be no more than 1_4" from top of cross bar. All forward wide rasp cylinder bars would be best. Running with some of Hypers half height cylinder bars will reduce cob breakup. If Hypers half height cylinder bars don't get your cobs over seperator grate without breaking them up so bad I would suggest covering seperator grate with cover kit. It would be a must to have cylinder bars extended to the discharge opening. Helicals must not be wore excessively in any location. New chrome helicals measure 5_8" and non-chrome 1_2". Extend 3rd helical from gearbox over top left of feeder housing. A couple helicals should extend into area just ahead of discharge opening a bit. Be sure that paddles on discharge beater are not rolled over and keep sharp side leeding. No when you say you are going along and everthing is fine untill all of a sudden you start chaffing the corn over. Check the tention of shoe drive belt for there is no monitor to show you if it is slowing down. Also clean the screen around transmition area so the fan can suck air threw that whole perforated area. After some running the leaves can suck up tight against the bottom of leaf screen and cut the air way down on you. When you start chaffing the corn over you should stop but leave the machine up to speed and get out to have a look to see if leaves are sucked up tight against the screen. Hope this helps and come on back with further questions. Dan

Dan

Sorry I missed saying that rear feed has to have shocks installed also. There that should do it. Good bye and good luck.

George

We run two R72 combines, one is a 1994 the other a 1996. In 1997 we had the same small broken cob problem as you have had, with a terrible grain bin sample. It was esp bad in the white corn while some varieties was halfway decent. We did our share of complaining about it and AGCO sent several troubleshooters to look at it several diferent times. Had to rent a red machine to finish the white corn to have a marketable product, AGCO paid the rent.Never did find anything out of whack with either combine and they were checked very well. The top AGCO cheese finally said the rotor design was too agressive for some corn. In the last 2 yrs our corn has been dry so we did'nt have the problem. It must be a design fault in the rotor area, our old N6 and N7 produced a much better sample. What to do nowIJ

Dan

That's a sad story, George. I agree that in many conditions the P3 would hold the crop in to long and grind it up to the point of damaging crop and overloading shoe. The good news is that it is very correctable. The biggest problem was the cylinder bars that are not extended to discharge area. There are now high wire concaves and high wire seperator grates. There are covers made of cage material for over the seperator grate or section could be cut out to bolt in door assy. made of cage material. I think you should have a good strong look at some of the upgrades talked about here and I bet the soft cob breakup problem will be gone. The N6 and N7s had way less concave and no seperator grate so they weren't near as prone to grinding up the crop. The biggest problem with the N6 and N7s was the helicals were not aggresive enough so to much crop would slip by them in certain crops and conditions. Them early machines allready had the the cylinder bars extended into discharge so that was not a problem. Installing shims under helicals or installing channel helicals made a massive improvement in them older machines. let us know of any questions. Dan