How Long Can You Freeze Pork Chops

Eudy

How long can you freeze pork chops? Are some recipes better than others if they've been in the deep freeze for a few years?

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
Officials recommend only freezing pork chops for up to six months. That being said, I know people who have eaten pork chops stored for longer periods of time in the freezer who didn't get sick. Doing so is at your own risk, though.

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
It depends on how well the meat is wrapped, and to my knowledge, the only danger is to the meat, from freezer burn.
We generally produce more meat than we can use in a year, so inevitably there is frozen meat we are eating that can be 4-5 years old. It has never been a problem for us. I would not sell or give the old stuff away, but we will eat it.
The meat we wrap here gets a layer of plastic stretch wrap and then a layer of butchers paper, never any problem.
All of our bird meat (chicken, turkey, duck) gets vacuum packed, again, never a problem.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Vacuum seal those bad boys and it'll keep for years. Color will change a bit but nutritional value should stay about the same. Most people dislike frozen meat because of the flavor change brought about by freezer burn. But like I said, vacuum sealing should help a lot.