Combines How many acres for an R 72IJ

dibber

Take your payment and divide it by the acres you farm. If its less than the going custom rate go for it.

T__langan

Simple financial formula - I love'em! But I'll add a little mud to the clear water - keep in mind the grain you could save by owning a Gleaner vs hiring a custom operator with an inferior make. Plus the convenience of harvesting when YOU want to vs when your custom guy gets there. I'd best shut up now in case any of MY custom clients should read this!! My guess, and that's all it is, would be approx. 3,000 acres minumum. I guess I have always thought 1,000 - 2,000 for a class V, 2,000 - 3,000 for class VI, and 3,000 - 4,000 for class VII (minimums). Perhaps others have different opinions here. I'm also talking corn_soybean country. Wheat may mean different numbers. Tom l.

gunner

We are consdering trading for an R-62. Since we have had trouble with the rear spindles, have they imporved them. Also is the rwa's spindes better. How about running a 6 row head with it. Does it work very good. Thats all.

Jeff

We harvest 3000 acres including double crop with an R62. location is another thing to consider. Some years we have about a week to harvest 1000 acres of wheat.

T__langan

I should have mentioned also that your "window of opportunity" for harvesting whatever number of acres has an effect on the size machine you need too. Up here in the land O' Cow Dung and Beer Farts, we are fortunate enough to have a great percentage of our corn harvested as high moisture for dairy feed. Then the remainder is harvested later when the corn drys down. This gives us a much larger window to work with than say a cash cropper who waits til his corn gets dry to save drying costs and then needs to get it all cut before snow flies. If you had only 200 acres, and HAD to harvest it All in one day, then you'd essentially need an R72 to do it - the numbers wouldn't quite work but.....! If you had a month to harvest, you could probably do it with an E. There, that's some more mud thrown into the water!! ;) Tom langan

Dan

I would have to say that spindle breakage problems went away when they started using the dual steering cylinder setup. I don't think we broke any older spindles either as long as they didn't have tie rod plate welded all the way around spindle. When they welded all the way around it must of crystalized the iron and made it alot more likely it could fail. We have had a couple of the dual cylinder setup machines wander while roading. We found on that machine that the weld holding tie rod anchor to spindle had cracked and we just welded another bead over the exsisting bead. One should still exercise caution when whiping around with a load in the hopper especially if you have one of those extentions stretching capacity to 350 bu. plus. Can't speak for RWA spindles. 6 row head may be on the small side for you but it would depend on your terrain, yeild, hopper size if you don't unload on the fly, $$$ you want to invest, ect. That's my $.02. Dan