How much milk?

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
We don't have milk (dairy) cows. I had someone ask me about how much milk a cow produces daily. I really don't know. Do they produce daily? Does it depend on their age?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We don't have milk (dairy) cows. I had someone ask me about how much milk a cow produces daily. I really don't know. Do they produce daily? Does it depend on their age?
It depends on the breed and age. Holsteins, in their prime, are the biggest producers, they average 24 pounds of milk per day, in their prime. But they don't have the highest butterfat, which is important. Many dairies will pay you a premium for high butterfat.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
What factors into it most is what type of cow it is. Some types have been bred over the years to be smaller in size and those produce less milk (they also eat less which is one reason why they are popular). Others are bred to produce the maximum amount of milk possible, and they tend to be super large like Holsteins which will produce milk just shy of a year after giving birth. It equals up to thousands of gallons a year. It's a lot for a family.

Ah, just saw RichZ answered too. He's a good one with lots of knowledge.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
What factors into it most is what type of cow it is. Some types have been bred over the years to be smaller in size and those produce less milk (they also eat less which is one reason why they are popular). Others are bred to produce the maximum amount of milk possible, and they tend to be super large like Holsteins which will produce milk just shy of a year after giving birth. It equals up to thousands of gallons a year. It's a lot for a family.

Ah, just saw RichZ answered too. He's a good one with lots of knowledge.

Thanks, Pinewood!!!

I should have asked if the OP is looking for commercial dairy cows or for a dairy cow for home use.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
This is interesting. So people are breeding cows to produce smaller cows? Would these cows then be what the average farmer (not cattle farmer) want just to produce milk for their family? Are these smaller cows also butchered for their meat? Does it taste different?