Prime Minister Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)India is highly dependant on the Agriculture sector. So we should be following new trends and techniques which results in more output by using fewer resources.
As we know over 80% of water consumption in India is for the agriculture sector, and 30% of water provided to agriculture is wasted.
So there is a strong need for the management of water in this field.
India’s increasing population creates problems in many cases, water shortage is one of them. If we could find a technique that uses less water and give optimum results, then it would be great for India.
With this thought process Hon. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has started PMKSY (Prime Minister Krishi Sinchayee Yojana-Har Khet ko Pani) and Narendra Modi has sanctioned approximately 2600 Crore budget for this Scheme.
The government of India is committed to putting water conservation and its management on high priority.
To this effect, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) has been formulated with the vision of extending the coverage of irrigation ‘Har Khet ko pani’ and improving water use efficiency ‘More crop per drop’ in a focused manner. It also provides end to end solutions on source creation, distribution, management, field application and extension activities.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) has started in 2015 under the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
PMKSY has been formulated amalgamating ongoing schemes viz.
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of the Ministry of Water Resources – Rs. 1000 crores
- River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD&GR) – Rs. 2000 crores for MoWR
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (DoLR) – Rs. 1500 crores
- The On-Farm Water Management (OFWM) of the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC) – Rs.5300 crores
Under Hon. PM Narendra Modi’s guidance area covered for irrigation is:
Drip: 3.57 Lakh Ha
Sprinkler: 5.81 Lakh Ha
Total: 9.37 Lakh Ha
Potential Created For Protective Irrigation: 3.65 Lakh Ha
About Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
Major Objective Of PMKSY
- Convergence of investment in irrigation at the field level
- Expand cultivable area under irrigation (हर खेत को पानी)
- Improve On-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage of water
- Enhance the adoption of being precise in irrigation and other water-saving technologies (more crop per drop)
- Enhance recharge of aquifers
- Introduce sustainable water conservation practices by exploring the feasibility of reusing treated municipal wastewater for peri-urban agriculture
- Attract greater private investment in the precision irrigation system.